Monday, August 31, 2009

Mojo Surf Trip

I just had the absolute best weekend of my entire life. I spent the last 3 days at Crescent Head, NSW at a surf camp hosted by Mojosurf. The entire weekend was just non-stop fun right from the beginning. It was a great opportunity for all of my new AustraLearn friends (plus a few that we have adopted!) to get together and do something as a group again. Even the 6.5 hour bus ride to get there was a blast as we belted out Bohemian Rhapsody, watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall, took goofy photos of each other sleeping, and had a 'few' drinks.

I was so tired the entire ride up to Crescent Head and I could not have imagined myself staying awake for anything that night. However, we had an amazing time with the crew during a bonfire at the 'Humpy'. We even took a beach walk at about 2 a.m. and got a little crazy!

It was not pleasant being woken up at 7 a.m. the next morning, but we were ready for surfing! On the walk to the beach we all kept tackling each other into the ocean and just goofing around. The instructors made the lessons really fun so we didn't even mind that it was really cold and raining. Then the surfing began...

I am so incredibly proud that I stood up and rode my very first wave that I attempted (with a little push from Ant). I had such a sense of accomplishment from that...until I fell the next 20 times. Our afternoon session that day had the best waves, in my opinion. They were just the perfect size and I was able to get up a few more times. I never really realized how much of an upper body workout you get surfing.

We had a really good dinner of steak, sausages, potatoes, and salads. After dinner, we played a modified version of Jenga. However, my team decided that we did not want to play anymore -- we just wanted to get straight on to another bonfire party at the humpy! Long story short, I ended the game by knocking the tower down which sent jenga blocks into the crowd. It was epic. We had to do everybody's dishes from dinner, but it was well worth it!

Most of the events of night 2 cannot be repeated, but it was absolutely ridiculous fun!!!

Surfing on day 3 did not go as well as the previous day, mostly due to lack of sleep and intimidating waves. We hung out on the beach and played in the waves instead, sharing stories from the night before.

I was so sad to leave Crescent Head. It was an absolutely gorgeous beach and I met some really awesome people from all over the world. Not to mention, I became so much closer with many of the AustraLearners that I came with. I cannot believe that I have only known these people for a little over a month. We have such a strong friendship already. It's more like we are a family than anything. I know that I can go to any one of them if I have a problem, I can be myself around them and not feel judged, and I can always find some crazy random shenanigan to get myself into with them! What a great weekend -- thanks Mojo!

No comments:

Post a Comment